Are you ready to take your taste buds on an adventure? If so, this Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta is just the recipe for you!
This easy-to-make dish takes less than 30 minutes and is sure to tantalize your taste buds. We make this most Friday nights - our family loves it!
It’s the perfect way to spice up your dinner table! Let’s get cooking.
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (diced into bite-size pieces)
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 onion (chopped)
• 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
• 1 can of diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
• 1 can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (7 ounces) – use 4 tablespoons of chopped peppers from the can, reserve the rest for later use
• 2 cups of chicken broth or stock
• 8 ounces of dry penne pasta
• ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Fresh parsley (chopped; optional garnish)
Phase One: Frying the chicken!
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the diced chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
Phase Two: Preparing the base!
Add the onion and garlic powder and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Phase Three: Mixing it all together!
Add in the chilli powder, diced tomatoes, chipotle peppers, chicken broth/stock, and salt & pepper.
Stir everything together until evenly combined.
Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low.
Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by half.
Phase Four - Cooking the pasta
While the sauce is simmering add 8 ounces of penne pasta into boiling water on a separate stovetop burner (follow package instructions).
Cook until al dente then drain off excess water.
Phase five - Bringing it all together
Once the sauce has been reduced by half add cooked penne into the skillet with the sauce and stir together until evenly combined.
Sprinkle in parmesan cheese and stir again until cheese melts throughout the mixture.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary with additional salt & pepper as needed.
Phase Six: Garnish (Optional)
Garnish with fresh parsley before serving hot with your favourite side dishes such as steamed vegetables or salad greens.
Side Dish - Best Paired
We love a light and fresh salad and is always an excellent option when serving this spicy dish.
The cool crunch of the lettuce and vegetables will balance out the heat from the chipotle and other spices in the pasta.
You can add in some added texture by throwing in some nuts or croutons as well - yum!
Steamed vegetables are a great way to get additional vitamins and minerals into your meal while still being light enough to pair with the spiciness of this pasta dish.
Whether it's broccoli, carrots, or Brussels sprouts, steaming them gives them an al dente texture that pairs perfectly with Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta.
Make sure you season them with salt and pepper for added flavour.
(or any herb or spice you prefer) for added flavour.
For those who want something more substantial than a salad or vegetables, I should side with roasted potatoes!
They’re easy to prepare and incredibly flavorful, and they pair well with the spiciness of this pasta dish.
For bonus points, top your potatoes off with some cheese and herbs before popping them into the oven! - You'll thank me later!
For those looking for a vegetarian-friendly version of this recipe, consider swapping out the chicken for your favourite vegetable(s).
For example, bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini all pair nicely with the spicy chipotle sauce.
Additionally, you can use vegan cheese instead of regular cheese to make this variation 100% vegan.
If you're looking for something creamy and comforting, try adding heavy cream or Greek yoghurt to the sauce mixture.
This will give your pasta an extra level of richness and flavour that your diners will love! You can also add some shredded Parmesan cheese on top for added texture and flavour.
If you're a fan of Mexican food flavours, try adding some chilli powder, cumin, and black beans to your pasta dish.
Top it off with some chopped tomatoes and fresh cilantro for an extra burst of flavour.
You can also sprinkle on some queso fresco or Cotija cheese as a garnish before serving!
Pots and Pans
For this particular recipe, I suggest a large pot for boiling the noodles, as well as a skillet for cooking the chicken, vegetables, and sauce.
I suggest a chef’s knife for chopping up the vegetables and garlic, as well as a paring knife for slicing the chicken into small cubes. A sharp knife also makes it easier to chop up the chipotle peppers without getting too much heat from them.
Refrigerating Your Leftovers
The first step is to let your pasta cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator. Hot food should never be stored in a closed container as this can create an ideal environment for bacteria growth.
Once cooled, place the pasta in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you plan on eating the leftovers after 3 days, freeze them instead.
Freezing Your Leftovers
If you want to keep your leftovers longer than three days, freezing them is the best option. First, let your pasta cool completely before transferring it into a freezer-safe plastic bag.
Make sure that there are no air pockets left in the bag and seal tightly before placing in the freezer. The pasta should last up to three months if stored correctly.
When ready to eat, move the frozen bag of pasta from the freezer into the refrigerator and allow 24 hours for thawing before reheating on low heat in a skillet or microwave-safe bowl.
When reheating your pasta, make sure that it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (73°C) or higher before serving or consuming.
To ensure that all areas of your pasta have reached this temperature, stir often while heating and use a food thermometer when necessary.
Additionally, avoid adding additional ingredients such as cream or butter until just before serving as these may affect both texture and flavor when reheated multiple times over several days.
Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (diced into bite-size pieces)
- 2 tbps olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (7 ounces) – use 4 tablespoons of chopped peppers from the can, reserve the rest for later use
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta
- 0.5 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley (chopped; optional garnish)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Frying the chicken!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
Preparing the base!
- Add the onion and garlic powder and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Mixing it all together!
- Add in the chilli powder, diced tomatoes, chipotle peppers, chicken broth/stock, and salt & pepper
- Stir everything together until evenly combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by half.
Cooking the pasta
- While the sauce is simmering add 8 ounces of penne pasta into boiling water on a separate stovetop burner (follow package instructions).
- Cook until al dente then drain off excess water.
Bringing it all together
- Once the sauce has been reduced by half add cooked penne into the skillet with the sauce and stir together until evenly combined.
- Sprinkle in parmesan cheese and stir again until cheese melts throughout the mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary with additional salt & pepper as needed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving hot with your favourite side dishes such as steamed vegetables or salad greens.
|Amount per serving
These are our favorite dishes to serve with it - just YUM!: